The Merriam-Gilbert Public Library is a free institution that is open and available to all. It is the right of every patron to feel safe and comfortable when visiting the Library. With this goal in mind, the following practices must be observed at all times by Library patrons:
- Children under the age of 9 must be accompanied by a responsible caregiver over the age of 14 at all times. Please see our Unattended Children Policy for more information.
- Beverages in covered containers may be consumed away from any electronic devices belonging to the Library.
- Staircases and other indoor passageways will be kept free of obstacles, such as strollers and bookbags.
- Patrons will observe Library closing times and cooperate with Library Staff as they clear the building at closing time.
- Patrons listening to music, watching videos, playing video games, or otherwise engaging in noise-producing computer activities will use earbuds or headphones so that other patrons are not disturbed by the noise. Headphones are available at the Service Desk if needed.
- Patrons shall bring issues with other patrons to Library Staff, rather than accosting other patrons.
- One person at a time will use the computers. Patrons will refrain from crowding around a single computer.
- Patrons shall dispose of any garbage in the proper waste receptacles in and around the Library.
- Patrons shall discuss child-friendly content in and within earshot of the Children’s Room.
To ensure that the Library remains a safe and comfortable place where all patrons can coexist peacefully, the following behaviors are prohibited:
- Engaging in any behavior that is in violation of local, state, or federal law, or of Library Policies.
- Raucous or vociferous behavior that disturbs other patrons.
- Defacing or damaging Library property, materials, or the Library building.
- Smoking or consuming alcohol in the Library.
- Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs in the Library.
- Fighting, challenging to a fight, pushing, shoving, striking, or throwing objects.
- Threatening Staff or patrons, either physically or verbally; stalking; harassing; bullying; staring; shushing; touching offensively; or exposing oneself.
- Using profane or obscene language.
- Sex acts or excessive displays of affection.
- Bringing weapons into the library. Any object deemed dangerous shall be considered a weapon.
- Political canvassing without prior permission from the Library Director.
- Lying down on the floor or in passageways.
- Misusing Library restrooms in such a manner that prevents or prohibits others from accessing them.
Please also be aware that:
- The Library is not responsible for personal items that are lost or stolen on the Library’s premises.
- Patrons must cooperate with Library Staff, who are entrusted with interpreting and carrying out Library Policies and Procedures.
- Patrons whose behavior disturbs or disrupts other patrons’ use of the Library may be asked to leave.
- The Children’s Room is reserved for use by children, their parents or caregivers, tutors, or others actively browsing the Juvenile collection.
Patrons who do not comply with this and other Library Policies may be asked to leave the Library. Continued disregard for the Library’s Policies may result in suspension of Library privileges. The Library Staff reserve the right to contact the Police Department or other Emergency Response Teams as is deemed necessary.